Sunday, May 29, 2011

Chicks!

My chicks hatched a few days ago!!! So here are some pictures... Enjoy! :)


The first two were black!

And then three yellow ones joined them

The third black chick was hatched with a little help and she's doing great now :)

We lost one yellow one, but having nine healthy chicks is so exciting!
We're just waiting to see if any more chicks will hatch. There are still twelve eggs in the incubator, so I will give them another few days and then make breakfast with the ones that don't hatch... just kidding! That would be disgusting! :P But if a few more don't hatch then I might order some meat birds from Farm n Fleet so we can have a good amount of chicken in the freezer this fall and winter. And this time I'm not kidding. ;) I'm thinking about getting a goat next... we will see. :)

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new chicks! Mine are starting to get big- they have been moved to the shed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new chicks! Mine are starting to get big- they have been moved to the shed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brooke! :o) Wow that was fast! lol I can't wait to move our chicks to the chicken coop! They sure are loud. :P How soon can I start letting them free range outside? (Keep in mind we have a big tomcat that is always catching squirrels and moles in our yard!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are doing great so far! I moved them into the chicken coop, and I have a heat lamp on them at night and I crack the door open when it gets too hot during the day. They seem to really like their new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How are your chicks doing? NOw that I have a coop I am going to be getting 5 chicks soon! Have you tried them outside with the cat? I would wait until they are taller than the cat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple weeks ago we finally let them out of their coop since it was getting really hot in there, and they loved it so much that we kept letting them out every day after that. But we ran into a problem... they don't come back to the coop at night like they are supposed to! So we ended up finding fewer and fewer every night, and now we're down to only 2 chickens. I haven’t seen any feathers lying around the yard though, so I’m guessing the chickens are just running off into the woods that are around our house. Once we get a fence up around the coop I will order 3 more laying hens and about 15 for butchering. Did you guys build your coop? You should post a picture of your whole setup! I would love that! :) What happened to the chicks that you had?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chicks we had were meat chickens and they are in our freezer. ;)
    My coop consists of patio doors attached to the front of the lean-to and a door. It is kind of makeshift but it works pretty well!

    ReplyDelete