This passage is one of favorite passages in the Bible. It's truly the recipe for success in our lives as Christians. But I wanted to dig a little deeper into what these qualities actually mean.
True -
Meaning not concealing. Forthright. I see this as focusing on relevant, necessary truths.
Honest -
Meaning venerable. Respected. Honorable. Honesty is not just about being truthful. It is about being respectable and honoring towards God and others.
Just -
Meaning equitable. This means that we are being unbiased and fair in all that we think about. We're not allowing someone else's opinion of something or someone affect our own thoughts and feelings. We are instead giving other's the benefit of the doubt and hoping the best in them. Love hopeth all things.
Pure -
Meaning innocent, modest, perfect. Pure in thought and deed. Thinking about things that are clean and not allowing our mind to stray into gray areas. This goes so much deeper than our thoughts, in my opinion, and is so convicting the more I think about it. When I watch my favorite TV shows (we don't actually own a TV, but I keep up on several girly shows on the internet) they are definitely not all clean or pure. Most of it falls under what I consider the gray area. But does God think the gray area is pure, modest, innocent, and perfect? And how much thought do I really put into these gray area shows that I watch? Far too much. Ouch.
Lovely -
Meaning friendly towards others. Thinking of others through rose colored glasses! Loving even those who are not lovable or sincere or thoughtful towards me. Wow.
Of good report -
Meaning reputable. Upright and decent in our thoughts of others. To me this means that I am making sure my thoughts are positive and not negative. I like to think of myself as a realist, but in all honesty I boarder on being pessimistic. I need to be thinking the best of people and finding the good in them.
If there be any virtue -
Meaning excellence.
If there be any praise -
Meaning laudation. Glorifying to God.
Think on these things -
So simple. Filter your thoughts through these things.
And the God of peace shall be with you -
Most people don't think about what this verse is actually saying. It doesn't say "the peace of God". It says "the God of peace". You won't just have God's peace, you will have the God of peace! God has many facets to His character, and one of them is to BE peace. Peace - meaning quietness, rest. His presence in our lives is calming and settling. The result of thinking negatively and unlovingly towards others will be contentiousness within myself. I will become unhappy and bitter. Unsettled. Not at peace with myself or with others.
One more verse that ties in so well with this passage is 1 Timothy 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain."
Godliness (everything that was listed above) + Contentment (for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content) = Great Gain
THAT is the recipe for success. :)
Now I just have to figure out how to live it. ;)
Love this verse! There is a whole lot to think about in it!
ReplyDeleteYes there really is! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat post Heather! Sheesh.... it truly is horrify how easy it is to stray from God's "recipe". I noted while reading your post that in the end the focus is not really on our own selves but on others. Selflessness. I feel like I so often forget that I'm here on earth not for my own pleasure but to put others first... and ultimately God first.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this awesome reminder! :)